Добавить новость
News in English
Новости сегодня

Новости от TheMoneytizer

MANEPO Secures Funds for Cyclone Freddy Survivors Assessment , Response

By Glory Msowoya

I lost my house and all my belongings -(pic by Arkangel Tembo-Mana)

Blantyre, March 27, Mana: Malawi Network of Older Persons’ Organization (MANEPO) says it has embarked on assessment of the Cyclone Freddy survivors after securing funds for the cause.

This comes after a Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DODMA) data shows that over 45,000 people of 50 years and above have been highly affected by Cyclone Freddy.

Speaking to Malawi News Agency on Monday, Executive Director for MANEPO, Andrew Kavala said the assessment is aimed at finding out how the elderly have been affected by Tropical Cyclone Freddy.

“We are doing the assessment beginning this week. We were still negotiating for funding from our donors, So we have secured some funds for an assessment and response,” Kavala said.

He said the exercise will determine the type of response the organization should do to help the elderly in the affected districts.

Meanwhile, a 65 year old Cyclone Freddy survivor at Matope camp in Ndirande Township in Blantyre, Bertha Kachere has since asked for more support towards the elderly as it will be difficult for them to recover from the aftermath of the cyclone.

“My house and all my belongings were damaged by the cyclone. We need more support for us to fully recover” she said.

Commissioner for DODMA, Charles Kalemba, said on Sunday the department has started receiving reports on how the districts have been affected by the Cyclone.

“The national inter-agency assessment team, which has been supporting affected Councils with assessments to establish the total number of affected people and their needs, has started submitting reports through clusters.

“The reports will inform the finalization of the response plan, which the department and partners have been developing,” he said.

According to DODMA, the Cyclone has affected 16 councils, namely; Balaka, Blantyre City, Blantyre District, Chikwawa, Chiradzulu, Machinga, Mangochi, Mulanje, Mwanza, Neno, Nsanje, Ntcheu, Phalombe, Thyolo, Zomba City and Zomba District.

So far, the number of displaced people has risen from 563,771 to 564,239 with 577 camps set to accommodate the displaced, while the death toll remains at 511, with 1,724 registered injuries. The number of reported missing persons stands  at 533.

The post MANEPO Secures Funds for Cyclone Freddy Survivors Assessment , Response appeared first on Malawi Voice.

Читайте на сайте


Smi24.net — ежеминутные новости с ежедневным архивом. Только у нас — все главные новости дня без политической цензуры. Абсолютно все точки зрения, трезвая аналитика, цивилизованные споры и обсуждения без взаимных обвинений и оскорблений. Помните, что не у всех точка зрения совпадает с Вашей. Уважайте мнение других, даже если Вы отстаиваете свой взгляд и свою позицию. Мы не навязываем Вам своё видение, мы даём Вам срез событий дня без цензуры и без купюр. Новости, какие они есть —онлайн с поминутным архивом по всем городам и регионам России, Украины, Белоруссии и Абхазии. Smi24.net — живые новости в живом эфире! Быстрый поиск от Smi24.net — это не только возможность первым узнать, но и преимущество сообщить срочные новости мгновенно на любом языке мира и быть услышанным тут же. В любую минуту Вы можете добавить свою новость - здесь.




Новости от наших партнёров в Вашем городе

Ria.city
Музыкальные новости
Новости России
Экология в России и мире
Спорт в России и мире
Moscow.media






Топ новостей на этот час

Rss.plus





СМИ24.net — правдивые новости, непрерывно 24/7 на русском языке с ежеминутным обновлением *