Philippines says will review U.N. concerns over killings | Reuters
By Stephanie Nebehay | GENEVA GENEVA The Philippines said on Thursday it would review recommendations over killings in its war on drugs, but stopped short of committing to make reforms or prosecute police for excessive use of force after criticism from U.N. rights council members.President Rodrigo Duterte has been widely condemned in the West for failing to curtail the killings and address activists' allegations of systematic, state-sponsored murders by police of drug users and dealers, a charge which the authorities reject.The United Nations Human Rights Council examined the Philippines record this week, where the government delegation said there had been no new wave of killings prompted by the campaign and denounced "alternative facts". Since Duterte took office 10 months ago there have been 9,432 homicide cases, including 2,692 deaths from "presumed legitimate law enforcement operations", it said
The post Philippines says will review U.N. concerns over killings
| Reuters appeared first on Firstpost.